Celebrating All the Saints

Categories: Church,Congregational News,Events,History

“Who we are as a church today is a direct result
of the journey of faith begun by those
who travelled before us.”

Sunday, November 4, 2018 was All Saints Day —
the perfect time to celebrate a series of special anniversaries at H.P.C.

(Rev. Paddy Eastwood)

In researching our congregation’s history a few years ago, we discovered none of the documents agreed on the actual date of our official beginning.  What we did find, were several events of significance, each one involving God’s people working, worshipping and witnessing in Maple Ridge. So, on All Saints Day we celebrated them all.

(Children’s Choir: “Resurrection Day”)

We acknowledged the beginnings of Presbyterianism here, when Rev. Alexander Dunn arrived in 1875 to preach the first sermon in the home of John McIver, grandfather of Jean Sloan. Later, after an interval away in Victoria, Mr. Dunn returned to lead the people who now worshipped in a new brick-clad St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church.

We celebrated the work done by the Reverend J. Murdo Pollock who arrived to start new work in the area after the 1925 church union movement absorbed most of the St. Andrew’s  congregation and its building. He preached his first sermon in Haney on the evening of November 6, 1949.

Then Presbyterians in Hammond, Pitt Meadows and Haney amalgamated in about 1950-51, and the growing congregation began a building fund with $5 donated by the treasurer, George Barclay. Much donated materials and labour went into the church on 223rd Street that was dedicated on March 30, 1958.

(Mrs. Janet Barclay, wife of the late George Barclay)

Some twenty-plus years later the congregation were outgrowing that structure, so they undertook another building project, this time on 216th Street, and on October 2, 1983 the current building was dedicated.

All these dates represent events when God was at work among the people of Maple Ridge. Through portions of the nineteenth, twentieth and twenty-first centuries, Presbyterians have been sharing the love of Christ and witnessing to His gospel. As we move into our tomorrows, may we be faithful in continuing this ministry.

~

To the church of God which is at Corinth,
to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus,
saints by calling,
with all who in every place
call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,
their Lord and ours:
Grace and peace to you from God our Father
and the Lord Jesus Christ.

[1 Corinthians 1:2-3]